Read Keys is for everyone who knows that improving literacy will...
promote better health
lift people out of poverty
keep people out of jail
buoy our economy
offer better employment
bring greater workplace safety
enable people to participate in, and
understand the issues facing our democracy
READ KEYS IS FOR PARENTS WHO
- are concerned that their children are falling behind in school because they cannot read well
- are confused by reading and writing instruction in schools
- want to help their children read and write well but don’t know how to begin
READ KEYS IS FOR EDUCATORS WHO
- acknowledge that current reading practices are NOT working and seek to teach differently
- want to read the latest research from various sources about the SCIENCE OF READING.
READ KEYS IS FOR STUDENTS WHO
- want to improve their reading and writing
- cannot find materials to read at their level
-want a 'Map to Reading'
- want to succeed in school and graduate as a literate person
- want to find a good job
-want to belong to the 'Literacy Club'
Mary McCool Berry, M.Ed.Reading K-12
Wilson Certified Practitioner
Certified Dyslexia Parent Advocate
Mary McCool Berry is an experienced educator, serving as a teacher, reading specialist, dyslexia educator/practitioner, dyslexia advocate, and literacy consultant for 35 years.
Mary is certified with a Master's Degree in Reading and is a Wilson Language (dyslexia) Practitioner.
Mary is a Certified Dyslexia Advocate. She advocates on behalf of students and parents.
Mary taught hundreds of students in grades 2-6 in an inner-ring public school district in Ohio for 32 years.
Mary earned Teacher of the Year twice while working in the Lakewood City Schools.
Mary was awarded the Outstanding Educator by the State Support Team in Ohio for her work with dyslexia. (2015)
Mary was a keynote speaker at the 2018 Lakewood City Schools Convocation.
Mary has written and received grants totaling $30,000 for her school and classroom.
Currently, Mary is involved with a number of literacy projects.
Mary teaches students virtually 1:1 with dyslexia across the United States (grades 2-9).
Mary serves as a content contributor to the literacy organization, Global Dream (India).
Mary serves as a literacy teacher-leader at Gros Islet School in Saint Lucia.
Mary is a podcast host and is developing a new show after completing her time with The Literacy View podcast.
Mary was featured on the D-Talks (Disruptive Literacy) broadcast in India with a talk titled ‘The Literacy Crisis in the United States.’ (2021)
Mary volunteers as an adult literacy teacher in Cleveland, Ohio with Seeds of Literacy, (nonprofit).